Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Dentist :/

I have never had such a horrible experience IN MY LIFE!  I'm very particular about my teeth and making sure I brush and floss every day!  I'm embarrased to say that it's been a while since we got cleanings but we don't have dental insurance (which dental costs is a joke and that's a whole other story I could go on) so all the money we saved on HSA was to pay for the birth of Hadley.  Well I made appointments for Jaycee and I for cleanings & xrays...$500 later we now have clean mouths. 

Jaycee did so so good and I was so impressed with the assistant who was so friendly and helped her feel comfortable.  They were working on her while cleaning my teeth so I didn't get a chance to snap a quick pic.  But she was so cooperative and even let them do flouride.  No cavities!  Brushing & flossing is SOOO worth the fight we go through. 

My experience on the other hand was horrible!  I'm so frustrated still about it.  When I was pregnant with Jaycee I had my first case of gingivitis (gums swollen)  Hadi came along and same thing!  Even when it's "that time of month" occasionally I'll get it.  I read that hormone changes can have that affect especially since I'm still nursing.  Well they decided to become swollen 2 days before my appointment.  Oh great!  The dentist made me feel like I've never brushed or cared in my life.  I've only had 3 cavities in my whole life and I walked away with findings of 9 with needing a new crown and $2500 later!  No joke!  How is it possible that 2 years ago fillings I had done are now "leaking" and not working and need to be redone.  I mean she even made me feel like some imperfections in my teeth that have been there for years need to be fixed including bleaching my teeth.  She even asked if I twirl toothpicks in between my teeth because of a little gap I have.  Really?!  The worst was when she asked about a spot on my tooth and said "As a kid did you have a fever?"  Why?  "Because you have this spot on your teeth that looks like it was caused because of a fever while teeth were forming.  I can fix that.  I'll bleach your teeth then put a filling over it so you can't see it"  Um, ya I remember when I was 2 and yes I had a fever...Really?!!!  (enter sarcasm)  I don't know if I had a fever and that's been there for YEARS and yet no dentist has ever said anything about it needing "fixed"  There was a point while she was looking at my "horrible" mouth that I wanted to burst into tears and get up and leave.  I should have.  But I also didn't want Jaycee to have a bad experience with dentists as she was watching me.  Ugh.  Let's just say I will go elsewhere and will NEVER recommend her to anyone! Here's to hope that we can find a dentist like the ones in Utah and Maine that we went to.  Worst part about moving.

3 comments:

  1. i think your house is so cute and perfect. and i love that you got a pilot. we have loved ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BIG BOO!!! Sheesh! First the baby doctor in maine and then the dentist in washinton. is it just utah where they practice some manners and class? Mandee, you are perfect and i'm so mad drs keep making you feel less than so. hoping you find a nicer dentist soon....we'll need a good referral when we move! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say the same comment as Dalynne. So sorry you keep having bad luck with the Dr. I just wish we didn't have such bad genes when it comes to our mouths. I had such good teeth until I got pregnant. Ever since then whenever they do an x-ray I always end up having at least a cavity. How does this happen when I don't drink much pop, eat fewer sweets, and brush morning and night and floss? I don't know but it's depressing huh? While hope you can get another dentist to check them out and not have to pay another fee to do so.

    ReplyDelete